Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tonkichi - Suntec City

Picture of a bowl of Sesame Seeds to grind at Tonkichi

Found another great Japanese food outlet at Suntec City Basement over the weekends! This one reminds me of my favourite “Ma Maison” (See earlier posts) and is quite close in the running too, in terms of the Japanese food served. Tonkichi is part of the Pokka Food group and renowned for Japanese food. We have to try it.

Curious as to how they would taste compared to the ones we had at "Ma Maison" (another favourite Japanese restaurant of ours), we also ordered the Tonkatsu sets we usually love to eat – this also appears to be their specialty! There are quite a few varieties here at Tonkichi such as: Rosu Katsu, Curry Katsu, Hire Katsu (pork cutlets) … We decided to order the Rosu Katsu set (consists of loin pork) @ S$ 20 and the Hire Katsu set (consisting of 3 pieces of pork cutlet) @ S$ 18.
Interestingly, we were served a bowl of sesame seeds before we were served with the main course! I thought why. I later understand that this was suppose to be one of the spices to be sprinkled over the katsu pork served later. We were supposed to grind the seeds in the bowl so that the sesame fragrance comes out. So we did!

Rosu Katsu Set

The katsu sets came. The presentation reminds me very much of the ones I had at “Ma Maison”. So I really had to try the pork to see if they come close too. My oh my! The pork katsu served here is more crispy in my opinion and the pork meat is much more tender and soft. Believed it’s the bread crumbs that they used to fry the pork slices in that makes it very crispy. Really nice. The katsu cutlet is even more tender and very sweet too!

Hire Katsu Set (Pork Cutlet)
The thoughtful restaurant also tops up your lettuces when your plate becomes empty and so there’s more for you! One thing lacking is the katsu sauce and the salad oil still pales in comparison to that at “Ma Maison”. But the food steals the show and its still very good overall. I would definitely come back here for a Japanese meal again. Their menu still offers many other Japanese sushi, sashimi and ala carte dishes. Worth exploring if you are looking for good Japanese food.

Tonkichi has another 2 outlets in Singapore; at Takashimaya and Isetan Scotts Shaw House respectively. The one we visited was at 3 Temasek Boulevard #B1-009, Suntec City Mall, Singapore 038985 Tel: 6339 4231.

2 comments:

  1. I tried "Tonkichi" at Ngee ann City & the food there is fantastic, the fried chicken, pork chop, japanese curry, tonjiru soup, veg and rice.. yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tonkatsu for tonight's dinner, and eventhough I had second serving, I still have some room left for those katsu as well.

    ReplyDelete